Meetings of Technical Working Group (TWG) on IYCF held
(21st May 2016)
1st meeting of Technical Working Group of IYCF strategy held in Quetta. The objective of the meeting was to develop Balochistan specific IYCF Strategy were:-
- Adoption of the National IYCF Strategy keeping in view the Balochistan context.
- Proposed to be developed in consultation with Provincial Coordination/Technical Committee notified by the Health Department.
The TWG comprising of prominent gynecologist, pediatrician, Health Care Providers, representatives of WFP, UNICEF, WHO and Mercy Corp (INGO) reviewed the National IYCF strategy and worked in groups to discuss the silent features of the national strategy.
Earlier presentation was delivered on IYCF national strategy, and presentation on Pakistan IYCF Strategy, introduction to IYCF in Pakistan, background to the formulation of the Strategy and Broad Plan of Action, goal and specific objectives of the National Strategy, to standardize infant and young child feeding (IYCF) practices for improved child health.
- To specify roles and responsibilities of partners in promoting appropriate IYCF practices
- To outline technical directives for IYCF interventions.
- To improve stunting and under nutrition, targeting the critical window of 1000 days.
In the last quarter of the session, the Behavior Change Communication Expert, delivered the Behavior change and Communication Strategy on IYCF. He talked about the implementation and budgetary allocation of the Breastfeeding Law, and the mass awareness campaign for behavioral change.
In the last session of the meeting participants presented the groups work.
The meeting was concluded with a vote of thanks.